What is ForestVISION?
The ForestVISION (Forest Species Monitoring and Analysing) project encompasses the development of an innovative online platform for the intelligent monitoring, measurement, analysis, and evaluation of forest patches for early warning, monitoring, planning and sustainable management, focused on the specific needs of the Iberian Peninsula.
Our goal is the prevention of natural hazards, strengthening the capacity to adapt to climate change and efficient management of natural resources.
The platform leverages artificial intelligence and computer vision solutions to allow the classification of different species in a forest ecosystem and the clustering of the classified species and observable abnormal conditions such as drought, nutrient deficits, diseases, sudden spread of invasive plants or illegal deforestation.
It uses data from different sources like satellite or drone imagery of different types, like RGB and multispectral and hyperspectral images, as well as data augmentation with publicly available ground sensors, like temperature or humidity sensors.
It provides useful information and early warnings in terms of size, composition, changes (illegal deforestation or invasive plants threat), health (pests and/or diseases), risks and damages, and delivers an ecological-environmental component that promotes knowledge about forest ecosystem services in a way that effective and efficient for the social, environmental, and economic regeneration of the territory.
The AI capabilities paired with team management tools and an intuitive interface, enable a platform sustainable for planning and management of forests. The project’s focus is on the forests of the Iberic Peninsula, with pilot projects located in the Beiras and Serra da Estrela area and the Beira Baixa in Portugal, as well as the Estremadura region in Spain.
- Remotely monitor your plots anywhere in the world, at the moment focusing on:
- Species composition
- Drought & nutrients
- Pests and Diseases (recognizable by multispectral satellite cameras)
- Deforestation (illegal or planned)
- Invasive plants threats
- Monitoring of hazardous conditions and forest health
- Deforestation satellite monitoring
- Regular high-resolution multispectral satellite captures
- Alerts and Notifications
- Set custom alerts on your plots and get notified if any condition is verified
- Regular satellite captures for continuous report generation and alert tracking
- Create user groups for team integration
- Manage user groups by assigning plots and sending alerts to multiple users
- Remotely plan forest activities and orchestrate with teams on the ground
- Machine Learning Engine
- Have access to cutting-edge ML models
- Track and monitor multiple conditions and use cases
- Get periodic reports on the state and evolution of your plots
- Save Time
- Periodic report generation
- Access the most up-to-date data on your forest plots wherever you are
- Remote monitoring and alerts on your plots
- Save Money
- Prevent and reduce loss due to damage with continuous monitoring alerts
- Cut extra costs by monitoring forest stands remotely
- Predict costs based on periodic reports
- Convenience (Efficiency)
- Stay up-to-date on the condition of your plots wherever you are
- Up-to-date forest mapping and information
- See the latest satellite captures on your plots
- Monitor forest health, compare stands before and after deforestation, and more, all in one place
- Continuous monitoring of the state of your plots with automatic alerts if anything unusual is detected
- Reduce the negative deforestation effects on the carbon cycle remotely
- Detect illegal logging thanks to satellite-based deforestation maps
- Detect fires or other hazardous conditions
ForestVISION Platform is coming soon!
Here is a sneak peak.